Sunday, August 9, 2009

My husband reads Jane Austen

Well...he's read about Jane Austen...and wants to see all the movies made of her novels. So...today, after my efforts of convincing Music Man #1 that reading the book is almost ALWAYS better than the movie were pushed aside, we watched Austen's comedy...Emma.

Emma Woodhouse ( played by Gwyneth Paltrow) is a beautiful, rich, know-it-all...and a bit of a busybody who thinks that she knows what is best for everyone and doesn't have any qualms about saying so. What she finds during the course of the novel is that she knows little about a lot, including herself. Of course, as in most of Jane Austen's novels, everyone turns out happy, or at least tolerant, in the end.

That's the good thing about Austen. Her characters are flawed...but loved. They always learn their lesson in the end, albeit experiencing the consequences of their actions...pride, carelessness, no self-control, prejudice, gossip, loose tongues...

It's a little that way with God, isn't it? He created this person...this character...me. Even though I'm prideful, careless, selfish, etc, etc, etc. He loves me...and somehow or someway, he always makes sure I learn my lesson in the end so that all will turn out well in the long run.

Cool God.

No comments:

Post a Comment