Wednesday, August 19, 2009

He Is

Today was hard. I went a million miles an hour at work, and after work I went to get a much needed pedicure. Seriously, I think my heels were gray...

Anyway, when I arrived at the nail salon, I was immediately placed in one of those massaging chairs that shake everything on you while you are trying to read or talk to the pedicurist. My feet were placed in warm bubbly water, and I leaned back...relaxed. I waited as they finished up some other ladies and saw the crowd in the waiting room growing rapidly. I waited 15 minutes...30....45....yes, by this time the warm bubble water was more like tepid and flat...and I felt my nerves winding back up in retribution. What is going on here? Hello? You put me in the chair...that means you'll be right back! Hello???

I know what you're thinking. I should have left. Yes, I know. However, it seemed that everytime I was about to get up, I thought...5 more minutes. Finally after 1 hour and 10 minutes, sitting in the horrible massage chair with pruny feet...they began my pedicure. However, by this time I needed to be back home in about 35 minutes for life group. So it was a rush job...not a rush cost. Now, I do not get a pedicure often...this is primo special occasion! I wanted to savor! But, alas, I could not.

So, I leave. Nails are done. Feet are less offensive to my husband. Which is what matters, I guess. Now, I have to get home because we are due at life group in 12 minutes. Luckily, I had asked MM #1 to put the food I was to bring in the oven. So, at least that will be ready to go when I run in the door.
Can you hear the scary music and see the foreshadowing in the above statement? Now, life group kids eat beforehand. They do not actually eat at life group...so at least MM#2 would be properly fed when I got home...(more foreshadowing). Crud, 8 minutes to get home, pack up the food, get to life group which was 9 minutes from our house.

I get home. Run to the kitchen counter to retrieve the appetizers MM#1 so graciously placed in the oven 15 minutes prior. But, where are they to be found? I don't see any appetizers. I don't smell any appetizers.
" I thought you meant to pre-heat the oven ten minutes before you got home" says MM #1. Ah well, no biggie. So we'll be a little late. No biggie.

Yeah right. My experience at the salon now manifests it's ugly head in my kitchen. Small fit. I apologize. Thank goodness for gracious husbands and sons. Well, let's go. At least MM #2 has eaten. " Oh no, I thought he would eat there " exclaims MM #1. What? Exsqueeze me? Have the kiddos ever eaten at life group? No. Before. They. Eat. Before!

Fine. I'll make a turkey sandwich for him. MM#2 looks on as I shake up the mustard for his sandwich. Mustard flies into his eye.

Great.

Wash the eyeball, all is okay, grab the appetizer from the oven, 15 minutes late so far, jump in the car, dry the tears ( mine), and we are off.
Finally, we get to life group. 25 minutes late. Oh no! I think I forgot to turn off the oven. Hop back in the car, run home, run in, oven is not on. Get back in the car and head back. 32 minutes late.
I want to cry. I am deep breathing. I am praying. God hears me and comforts my hectic mind. He slows it down. I heard the following song on the radio, and it helped my arrive to life group (finally) with a sound mind.

He Is - by Mark Shultz

Father, let the world just fade away
Let me feel your presence in this place
Lord, I've never been so weary

How I need to know you're near me

Father, let the world just fade away

Till I'm on my knees

Till my heart can sing

He is

He was

He always will be

Even when it feels like there is no one holding me

Be still, my soul
He is

_ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sigh. Thank you for stilling my soul, and restoring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment