Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book Review


Since Amanda and I have started our very own...very exclusive book club ( still unnamed...will consider your suggestions), I am reading my way through the most recent best sellers. We just made our way through Julie & Julia by Julie Powell.

I loved the idea of this book. I loved that Julie took something on and went all the way...because, let's face it, how many people actually finish something that they don't HAVE to do? I love the story. I like that it was true; however, knowing it was true saddened me.
I was constantly reminded, as I read, of the dark reality that many still live. The hopelessness, the disregard for marriage, the language, the worry...anyway...a good story, but there was a great deal of crudeness and language in the book. Here's hoping that the movie doesn't follow suit.
What the author and story did do was remind me that regular people can still do some pretty amazing things, if we put our minds to it and add a little elbow grease. It reminded me that maybe I need to do that a little bit more. It reminded me that maybe I can do something great...and as small as it may seem at the time ( like choosing to cook through a cookbook in a year), it may turn out to be as influential as a blockbuster hit. What if I geared that energy...that focus...that commitment into God's Kingdom? The possibilities are endless...


Anyway, help me name the bookclub...or else we could be called (per Amanda's suggestion) the Bibliophiliacs.

1 comment:

  1. What about the Bookaroos....or
    Dog Eared and Dangerous......

    ReplyDelete